Nisha Jones, Esq.
Nisha Jones, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Managing Attorney at a Law Firm

About 7 months ago I was shopping at a Walmart in

Customer Question

About 7 months ago I was shopping at a Walmart in Chesterfield VA my daughter came through the self check out and they sent a reply to my home to say I took some stuff without paying for it
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Nisha Jones, Esq. replied 1 month ago.

Good evening, I am a Criminal Defense attorney and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office. I'll be answering your questions today, please understand this is for informational purposes only, and we do not currently have an attorney-client relationship. Please allow me just a few minutes to prepare some information for you, thank you!

It sounds like you may be charged with Petit Larceny.

In Virginia, petit larceny is a class 1 misdemeanor, and it punishable by up to 1 year in jail, and/or a fine of up to $2,500.

That being said, it sounds like you may have a very valid defense to these allegations. My recommendation is to hire a defense attorney to represent you in this matter, if you do in fact end up being criminally charged. Unfortunately with the way the criminal judicial system currently works, you can often be taken advantage of or overlooked without an attorney, and having the right attorney fighting on your behalf can make the world of difference. Many attorneys will accept payment plans, and the Court may actually appoint you a Public Defender if you financially qualify.

I hope that helps! Please let me know if you have any other questions. Also, please take a moment to rate me using the stars as this is the only way experts are compensated for our time here on 'just answer'. It doesn't cost you anything to rate me, and we can still continue our conversation for free after. Thanks!

Hi! Just checking in to see if you have any more questions? I hope I was able to address all of your concerns. Please let me know, I'm here to help. Thanks!