Nisha Jones, Esq.
Nisha Jones, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Managing Attorney at a Law Firm
93473422

I need to compose a letter to an immigration officer

Customer Question

I need to compose a letter to an immigration officer explaining a crime from 1993. It was insurance fraud which came about due to horrible circumstances on my side but I realize that does not matter. Can anyone help me write this letter?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Nisha Jones, Esq. replied 2 months ago.

Good afternoon, I am a Criminal Defense and Immigration Law attorney and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office. I'll be answering your questions today, please understand this is for informational purposes only, and we do not currently have an attorney-client relationship. I'm sorry to hear that this happened! Unfortunately I can't compose the letter for you according to the rules of the 'just answer' website, but I can give you some advice and guidelines on how to write it. Please allow me just a few minutes to prepare some information for you, thank you!

Also, just so I can better assist you in getting the answers you need, could you let me know what your current immigration status is? Thanks.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I am currently a green card holder with a Full and Complete Pardon. I have passed my citizenship test however my application was denied and therefore I am fighting it . One of the things I was asked for was this letter explaining the circumstances etc... of this crime. I was in an abusive relationship at the time and went along with my boyfriends wishes which I know very stupid but that was then this is now. Not sure how to explain this, take responsibility however explain that at the time I felt I had to do as he wanted.

I'm sorry to hear that happened. I am happy to hear that you are fighting the denial though! My recommendation would be to be straightforward and forthcoming with them about all of the details and factors that led up to what happened. Don't hold back, be apologetic for your actions, but explain the details and the circumstances that led up to that incident. Include a simple statement in there reiterating the fact that your case was also pardoned. Hopefully you will prevail in getting their decision reversed and your citizenship granted!

I hope that helps! Please let me know if you have any other questions. Also, please take a moment to rate me using the stars as this is the only way experts are compensated for our time here on 'just answer'. It doesn't cost you anything to rate me, and we can still continue our conversation for free after. Thanks!

Also I'd like to explain that the reason USCIS takes an issue with fraud convictions, is that in their estimation it points to an individual that has moral/honesty issues and they're evaluating individuals rather stringently as they make their decision on whether to permit them to become US citizens. In your case, it sounds like it wasn't necessarily a moral issue but rather, a result of a somewhat abusive or manipulative relationship. Thus, I think it's important that you explain what was going on in that relationship, and that you were a victim caught in the cycle of abuse (whether that was physical, emotional, or psychological), because it will help clarify to USCIS that your case of fraud was not the typical situation that comes across their desk.

Again, I hope that helps! Please feel free to let me know if you have any more questions, and please take a moment to rate me using the stars. Thanks so much!

Hi! Just checking in to see if you have any more questions? I hope I was able to address all of your concerns. Please let me know, I'm here to help. Thanks!