CrimDefense, CriminalDefenseAtty
Experience:  9+ years defending Misdemeanor and Felony cases.

On 7/16 I got pulled over and was told my license was

Customer Question

On 7/16 I got pulled over and was told my license was suspended to an unpaid ticket I wasnt aware of. On 8/29 I went to court like the ticket said to do and was told by the DA office that it was dropped and she gave me a letter. Now I received letter from cop stating that my court date from 8/29 was changed to 10/7. Who do I go by? DA? Or police? I just dont want a warrant out for my arrest!
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  CrimDefense replied 1 month ago.

Good evening. What exactly did the letter from the DA say? Also, have you taken care of the unpaid ticket and reinstated your license?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The letter states that DA has dropped the case. Ticket was paid and hold was released and license is now active. I just can not afford to miss work for no reason and for a case that DA stated they were not taking.

Thank you. In a situation like this, you just want to make sure the State did not refile the case, after it was dismissed. In order to know and be safe, you can first try looking this up online, through the clerk of courts website and see if there is an open case under your name. If not, it should show a closed/dismissed case. If you can not find anything online, then you want to speak with the clerk of court in the morning and ask them to look it up in their system. It is possible that the original date of 8/29 was going to be charged but when you appeared, the DA just dismissed it. Moreover, if you had everything cured when the DA dismissed it, that may have been the reason for said action.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
how do I know? I cant talk on the phone.

We do not have to. As long as there is no open case in the system, then it was dismissed and you do not need to appear. As I shared, you can go now to the clerk of courts website and look up your name or speak with the clerk in the morning, who can confirm.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Even if the court date is 10/9? Would it be valid now

Would what be valid now?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
THE COURT CASE would it be up now? It isnt, does that mean I can disregard this?

Yes, if nothing is posted or in the court system, then it means that it was dismissed and the dates/notice from the police, crossed paths with the case that was dismissed and is not on the docket and is done. As I shared, simply confirm with the clerk of court at that the case is showing dismissed and that there is no hearing set.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I can disregard it as there is no case on the web site. You seem to be missing my question that I can not afford to waste another day off like I did on 8/29 only to be told it was dropped.

I completely understand your question. That is why I shared with you that if there is no case on the website, then it would be closed. However, just to be safe, call the clerk of court tomorrow morning, to confirm. this was, you do not have to take a day off since they will look in the system to see that there is no case and it is closed.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
just sit in panic until then. Got it.

No, I am not saying that at all. The date which you shared above is set for 10/7. I never said to just sit and wait until then. What I shared with you is that tomorrow morning, when the court opens, you can call the clerk to confirm that the case is closed. They will tell you that there is no court date and that the record shows this was dismissed. I am sorry the court is not open right now but you do have to wait until tomorrow morning, to get the clerk to confirm