Nisha Jones, Esq.
Nisha Jones, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Managing Attorney at a Law Firm

I'm going to Mexico in a week and just recently got my

Customer Question

I'm going to Mexico in a week and just recently got my passport. I also just recently found out that I have a misdemeanor warrant from 6 years ago. Will I be arrested going through customs? Should I not go and take care of this? I kind of figured they wouldn't give me a passport if I have a warrant but don't know if they do the same process at the airport. What should I do?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Nisha Jones, Esq. replied 1 month ago.

Good morning, I am a Criminal Defense and Immigration Law attorney and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office. I'll be answering your questions today, please understand this is for informational purposes only, and we do not currently have an attorney-client relationship. Please allow me just a few minutes to prepare some information for you, thank you!

Customer: replied 1 month ago.

It is very highly likely that CBP (Customs and Border Patrol) may see your bench warrant when traveling. For that reason, I recommend postponing your trip and having the bench warrant addressed before you travel. You wouldn't want to go through being arrested at the airport, and then extradited to wherever your warrant originated from.

The good news is that since it's been 6 years, witnesses to the original case may no longer be available. Or in other words, when so much time has passed, the prosecution's case is often weakened due to witnesses or evidence no longer being available or reliable; so your case may actually end up being resolved rather quickly (of course that's not a guarantee, and I don't have the specific facts and details of your case). My recommendation would be to hire a local defense attorney to help you with this. Hopefully it can be resolved quickly and you can go on with your plans in the future without having to worry about this.

I hope that helps! Please let me know if you have any other questions. Also, please take a moment to rate me using the stars as this is the only way experts are compensated for our time here on 'just answer'. It doesn't cost you anything to rate me, and we can still continue our conversation for free after. Thanks!

Customer: replied 1 month ago.

No problem, you're welcome! Best of luck to you with this! Please don't forget to kindly take a moment to rate me, as it's the only way I'm compensated for my time by 'just answer' (and it's free to you to rate me). Thanks!

Hi! Just checking in to see if you have any more questions? I hope I was able to address all of your concerns. Please let me know, I'm here to help. Thanks!