Law Tutor, Esq.
Law Tutor, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  N/A

My boyfriend is on probation for 5 years for a felony. He

Customer Question

My boyfriend is on probation for 5 years for a felony. He sign a 6 year joint suspension. He violated his probation by not checking in with probation officer this is his first violation they already revoke probation he didn't even have a court hearing for the revocation of his probation does that mean he is going to get sentenced to 6 year term? The only thing it says online is hold was dropped and then it has his charges for the reason he's on probation listed with a court date
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I talk to his probation officer the day after he was arrested and she said she was going to recommend some sort of treatment well how could they already have revoke his probation that's what I don't understand I called her again and she said she does not know what's going on because he does not have pending charges I figured because the judge in this town as an a****** and he hates my boyfriend that he just went ahead and revoke it and is going to send some for this 6 year joint suspension I don't know but I thought he had a right to a hearing for revocation of his probation
Expert:  Law Tutor, Esq. replied 1 month ago.

Thank you for using JustAnswer. I am a licensed attorney for over 20 years and I look forward to assisting you. I would be happy to provide general information regarding your question. Please hold on while I review your question and type an answer. Please note:This is general information for educational purposes and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an attorney on this site. Okay?

Please note that a procedures vary from jurisdiction to jurisdiction, but generally, just because someone's probation is revoked, doesn't mean that he will be sent to jail (for 6 years concerning your boyfriend's case). A probation revocation hearing is normally scheduled to give the defendant an opportunity to be heard. There are many things that can happen at a probation revocation hearing in that the judge may add more time to the probation, revoke the probation and impose the original sentence, impose additional fines and/or require the defendant to get counseling or treatment programs, depending on the circumstances. This hearing happens in court without a jury and the defense and prosecution will put on evidence concerning whether or not the probation should be revoked. Maybe you can call the clerk's office at the court and see if you can't find out if an attorney has been appointed to represent your boyfriend. If so, get his or her name and get in contact with them. The attorney may be able to use you to testify as a character witness on behalf of your boyfriend. Here is a link to a website that discusses Probation Violation Consequences. I hope this helps.

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

If you have no further questions, and have not yet done so, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page) so that I am credited by JustAnswer for assisting you.

There is no additional charge to you for rating me.

A bonus is not required, but is always appreciated.

Hello. I just wanted to check in to see if you have any other questions. I am here to help. Let me know. Thanks.