Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Lawyer
Experience:  Numerous criminal trials ranging from traffic to murder, practicing Criminal Law for 20+ years.

If i told a friend that I believe my neighbor is

Customer Question

if i told a friend that I believe my neighbor is eavesdropping on me can I be sued for slander
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 month ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to helping you today.

No, not if you phrased it that way. To qualify as slander/libel it must be an assertion of fact that is false, If you told someone what you believe then it doesn't meet the requirement of being an assertion of fact.

If your question has been answered then I'd offer my best wishes to you and ask that you please not forget to leave a Positive Rating so I receive credit for my work. Of course, please feel free to ask any follow up questions in this thread. I want to be sure that all of your questions are answered.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I do not understand assertion of fact that is false. If I said they do eavesdrop on my conversations does that make more sense to you and can you explain to me again if it is sueable in what I said
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 month ago.

Yes, it is possible to sue you if you say "They are eavesdropping" instead of "I think they are eavesdropping". It's not necessarily a good case, but it is a potential case. One way is an assertion of fact and the other way is speculation or opinion.