Legal-Kal
Legal-Kal, Criminal Defense Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney at Law Offices of Khaled Issa
90630425

I am going to a hearing tomorrow re a restraint order

Customer Question

I am going to a hearing tomorrow re a restraint order against me. How do I request a continuance so I have time to consult with a lawyer?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Legal-Kal replied 8 months ago.

Good afternoon:

My name is ***** ***** I would be happy to provide general information regarding your question.

May I ask, will this be your first court appearance regarding this restraining order?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.

Thank you for that info.

If this is a first appearance, a party responding to a restraining order petition is entitled to have an attorney. The individual must simply inform the judge that he/she wishes to have time to consult with, and hire, an attorney. The continuance will most likely be granted because this is a first appearance.

If, however, a continuance is granted and the individual comes back without an attorney, then the courts are not required to grant a second (or subsequent continuance).

The process of asking for time to speak to an attorney is rather simple. Once the case gets called up, the individual must inform the judge that he/she wants time to hire an attorney. After that, the judge will more often then not grant at least one continuance.

Questions based on this? If so, please ask!

If not, please remember that experts here are not employees of JustAnswer and do not get credited for taking the time to provide general information to individuals until the individual clicks ACCEPT and rates the assistance with three stars or higher. Your cooperation in this regard would be appreciated!

***General information provided here is for educational and informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice, nor should it be relied upon as such. It is always wise to consult with an attorney licensed in your jurisdiction as they would be in the best position to assist***

Gentle reminder, if you have no questions based on this, please remember to click accept and rate the assistance provided with three stars or higher as that is the only way experts can be credited for taking the time to assist. Thank you.

Please remember to click accept and rate the assistance provided as that is the only way experts can be credited.