How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Gerald, Esq Your Own Question
Gerald, Esq
Gerald, Esq, Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 3726
Experience:  30 years of experience
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Gerald, Esq is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My wife owed some money to a man before we got married. Now

Customer Question

my wife owed some money to a man before we got married. Now he is posting offensive websites and sending through the US postal service things to my colleagues at work. He has already caused me to lose one job and now wait for his things to land at my new job. He posts websites with my pictures on them and demands that I pay my wifes debt or he will not stop. I am desperate. The man is a nutcase, has stalked her in London and spent a day outside our apartment (we are now in the USA) Can I sue him for using my images on his website? The police will not do anything because local police in the USA can not go to the UK where the nutcase lives. He uses the US mail service for sending distressing information to my work. He sends email to my wife, to me and her aged father. The nut lives in the UK but never gives out his address only sends his bank account details. Any ideas?
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: We live in CT the nut is in Bristol UK (no fixed abode)
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Yes I took it to the police and they said no can do. I have had the website taken down twice. I have the mail he sent to my workplace (job lost)
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I think there is plenty there , blaxkmail, copyright, sending through the US postal service, stalking.
Submitted: 8 months ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
The hosting company in CA of the offending website so far have not confirmed officially that the nut is the author, but there is more than sufficient evidence to link the two.
Expert:  Gerald, Esq replied 8 months ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. Please bear with me as I verify somethings for you. I will respond fully shortly. Thank you for your patience

Expert:  Gerald, Esq replied 8 months ago.


Thank you for your patience and thank you for using Just Answer. I want to provide you the best service I can. Please feel free to ask any follow up questions you have.

I am an attorney with 30 years of experience; I hope to provide you information that will help you in resolving your question.

The difficulty that you have of course is what you have described. The person is out of country and has no fixed address. You can of course sue him in the US or the UK if you can find him. BUT it doesn't sound like he has any real assets that you would be able to recover. Also international lawsuits are very expensive.

Local police do not have jurisdiction overseas so they have no means to assist you. BUT there are things that you can do.

You can go to the US postal service. It is a violation of US federal law to send this type of material through the mails AND the US has a treaty with the UK so cooperate in cases where the postal service is being used for illegal activities - such has stalking, black mail, harassment.

The most cost effective solution for you may be to make an appointment with the Post Master at your local post office and ask them to assist you in having this matter properly investigated and prosecuted. If the Post Master does not seem to be interested make an appointment with the constituent services staffer for the Congressman for the District that you are residing in and ask them to contact the Post Office Inspector General to get you the assistance that you need.

I hope the information I provide is useful to you. I want you to be comfortable and satisfied with my attempt to assist you. Please, if you have ANY follow up questions, feel free to ask. Please note that I am generally unavailable Friday evening through Sunday.

Please do not forget to give me a positive rating. It adds nothing to your costs but it helps me greatly. Thank you.

If you are dissatisfied with my response PLEASE let me know before giving me a negative review so that I may try to be of better assistance. Or if you prefer, let me know and I can “Opt Out” and your question can be re-posted without additional cost to you. I will be fair to you and only ask the same from you.

Good luck.

Please note: Information is educational and not given as legal advice. Only your local attorney can give legal advice. I can't establish or accept an attorney-client relationship with you. All posts are available for public viewing.

Kind regards,


Customer: replied 8 months ago.
The nutcase owns several properties in the uk. He keeps it a secret as to which one he lives at, thinking he is being clever. Sending to one of his properties I know he uses for mailing purposes is an option. It all needs to happen in a us court
Expert:  Gerald, Esq replied 8 months ago.

If he is sending these things to you through the US Mails then he has violated US law. This would give the US District Court jurisdiction over the matter and you can sue in US Court.

The federal US District Court rules of procedure are VERY complex. So you really need an attorney to assist you with this.

This link can assist you in finding local counsel:

I hope this additional information is helpful to you.

Kind regards,


(Please do not forget to rate me – click the five stars. It adds nothing additional to your costs, but it helps me greatly. Plus it is good Karma for you. Thank you.)