Loren, Lawyer
Experience:  Former administrative hearing officer

I was just accused of hitting my neighbors taillight as we

Customer Question

I was just accused of hitting my neighbors taillight as we passed each other in the road. I believe it's a scam to extort money, as this person has no drivers license, little English speaking ability and no CA nor US license. In addition, she drives a vehicle insured for her husband only and was carrying at least one child under 12. They don't want to go through insurance but I would like to know what my rights are. Also, this person has made it very clear that they detest me although I've never spoken with her other than basic positive greetings.What are my rights?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Loren replied 1 month ago.

Thank you for using JustAnswer. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs and former prosecutor, and I look forward to assisting you.

Expert:  Loren replied 1 month ago.

You have every right to decline to pay and demand she prove her claim in court. You also do not need her permission to make a claim to your insurance.

You have no obligation to pay her anything until a court orders you to do so because she proves her claim against you by a preponderance of the evidence.

Expert:  Loren replied 1 month ago.
If you have no further questions, and have not yet done so, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page) so that I am credited by JustAnswer for assisting you.
There is no additional charge to you for rating me.
A bonus is not required, but is always appreciated.