Law Tutor, Esq.
Law Tutor, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  N/A
96078538

My friend has was arrested for dui and unlawful use of a

Customer Question

My friend has was arrested for dui and unlawful use of a weapon. He did not take the breathalyzer test. He had a gun in the car but has a license to carry. I am currently living in Mexico and would like him to visit. He lives in IL. His lawyer told him he cannot leave the country while on bond. He has not been charged yet. Is there any way he can get permission from the judge to travel? Under what circumstances would the judge give him permission?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Law Tutor, Esq. replied 5 months ago.

I am a licensed attorney for over 20 years and I look forward to assisting you. I would be happy to provide general information regarding your question.

Are you online now?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.

Thanks. Please give me a moment to review your question and type an answer.

Have you had the opportunity to review the exact language of the bail bond issued in the case? If there is a provision that he cannot leave the state, then he cannot leave the state without court order. He may have an opportunity to leave the state if his attorney files a motion to seek a modification of the bond in the court where the case is pending. The attorney can petition the court to allow him to travel out of state. If it's travel for work, he will have more of chance than travel for pleasure. Also, you are asking if he can leave the country to travel to Mexico. That may be unlikely, but his attorney can try. This is just general information and he should continue to be advised by his attorney. I hope this helps.

Do you have any more questions?

If you have no further questions, and have not yet done so, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page) so that I am credited by JustAnswer for assisting you.

There is no additional charge to you for rating me.

A bonus is not required, but is always appreciated.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Should he have a copy of the bail bond?

Yes - he should have a copy of it. If he misplaced it, the court, bondsman or attorney can furnish him with a copy. Make sure that he reads it carefully and understands the terms.

Please note: This is general information for educational purposes and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking with an attorney on this site. The attorney herein is licensed in VA, NJ and GA only.

Take care. Let me know if you need anything else.

I will be online for a little bit longer tonight if you have any other questions.