CalAttorney2, Attorney
Experience:  Civil litigation attorney for individuals and businesses.

My ex boyfriend stabbed me and he is awaiting trial but he

Customer Question

My ex boyfriend stabbed me and he is awaiting trial but he was 16 n I was 23 he is now 17 n I am 24 I had given a statement to cops while I was in hospital stating we dated but when we first met he told me he was 19 then he said 16 weeks later n I thought he was kidding I need to know what I'd be facing charges wise n how I could possibly beat em
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 1 month ago.

Hello, My name is ***** ***** I will assist you today. Please give me a few minutes to write a response and identify any additional resources for you.

Dear Customer,

If you had engaged in sexual intercourse with your boyfriend, this would fall under the statutory rape provisions in Illinois, and given his age, this would be a misdemeanor.

However, unlike some other states, "mistake of age" is a defense to this crime.

Your best option at this time is to refrain from making further statements to the police unless you are represented by counsel.
A criminal defense attorney can represent you in the investigation phase of the criminal process, as well as in the prosecution/trial phase - and hopefully help you avoid this second part.

Given the nature of your relationship (he assaulted you) there is a pretty good chance that you can avoid any type of repercussion for this - but I do recommend at least consulting with a local criminal defense attorney (unfortunately if you are convicted of any type of "sexual assault" crime this can have long reaching effects, so investing a little bit of money on an attorney right now (even if it is a sacrifice to you financially), is probably worthwhile in the long run.