Nisha Jones, Esq.
Nisha Jones, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Managing Attorney at a Law Firm
93473422

I had guy working for me he got off probation and sold my

Customer Question

I had guy working for me he got off probation and sold my checkbook and forged my name on my checks is allowed to do that he said nobody can not do nothing want can I do
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Nisha Jones, Esq. replied 2 months ago.

Good evening, I am a Criminal Defense and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office. I'll be answering your questions today, please understand this is for informational purposes only, and we do not currently have an attorney-client relationship. Please allow me just a few minutes to prepare some information for you, thank you!

I'm sorry to hear that this has happened to you. Your ex-employee is indeed guilty of a crime, and that crime is Forgery. Forgery (also known as "uttering a false instrument") is a serious offense, punishable as a felony in all 50 states and by the federal government. Forgery involves the making, altering, use, or possession of a false writing in order to commit a fraud.

The West Virginia legal code specifically states that:

"(a) If any person forge any writing, other than such as is mentioned in the first and third sections of this article, to the prejudice of another's right, or utter or attempt to employ as true such forged writing, knowing it to be forged, he shall be guilty of a felony and, upon conviction, shall be confined in the penitentiary not less than one nor more than ten years, or, in the discretion of the court, be confined in jail not more than one year and be fined not exceeding five hundred dollars."

§61-4-5. Forging or uttering other writing; penalty; creation of unauthorized demand draft.

My recommendation is to take whatever evidence you have and go down to your local police station to file a report. The police should open an investigation and hopefully make an arrest of this individual, and your case should be brought to court.

I hope that helps! Please let me know if you have any other questions. Also, please take a moment to rate me using the stars as this is the only way experts are compensated for our time here on 'just answer'. It doesn't cost you anything to rate me, and we can still continue our conversation for free after. It's very important that you give me a positive rating for your deposit to be released and for me to be paid. (If you don’t, the site keeps your deposit). Thanks!

Hi! Just checking in to see if you have any more questions? I hope I was able to address all of your concerns. Please let me know, I'm here to help. Thanks!