Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Lawyer
Experience:  Numerous criminal trials ranging from traffic to murder, practicing Criminal Law for 20+ years.
11068102

I was just accused of unemployment fraud in wisconsin. I

Customer Question

I was just accused of unemployment fraud in wisconsin.
I paid it all back in full.
3 years later the state of wisconsin is trying to take me to court.
Can this be dismissed as i am working full time in South Dakota?
I dont understand why they filed it now after i did what the state of wisconsin had asked me to do.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 2 months ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to helping you today.

No, being in South Dakota doesn't mean that Wisconsin doesn't have jurisdiction and venue over the case since you apparently filed in Wisconsin.

You may want to hire a lawyer and have them argue that using WI courts to sue you for a debt to WI is an inherent conflict of interest but I've never seen that done and don't think it would work because it would have too many long term effects. That would be your only shot though.

If your question has been answered then I'd offer my best wishes to you and ask that you please not forget to leave a Positive Rating so I receive credit for my work. Of course, please feel free to ask any follow up questions in this thread. I want to be sure that all of your questions are answered.