Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.

I am a police officer and have been charged with obtaining

Customer Question

I am a police officer and have been charged with obtaining money under false pretenses, 49 counts, because I went home for 2 hours on those occasions. I have proof that I did "back-up" of other officers during the time I was home during my shift. The total amount of compensation involved is less than $5,000 and I am willing to pay back the money. The town has offered me a settlement of termination, loss of pension, loss of health insurance. Should I roll the dice and go to court.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  CrimDefense replied 1 month ago.

Good morning. Are you represented by legal counsel? While the town may be willing to settle, how does this effect the criminal case? You shared that you were charged, so are there criminal proceedings or is this simply a civil matter?