Nisha Jones, Esq.
Nisha Jones, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Managing Attorney at a Law Firm

Can a person with a felony dui own a gun in Texas? Texas. He

Customer Question

Can a person with a felony dui own a gun in Texas?
JA: What state is this in? And can you tell me a little more about the charge?
Customer: Texas. He had a third dui which was a felony. However his crime was not a violent one.
JA: Have you talked to a laywer yet?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Is there a charge for the consultation?
JA: You just pay a $5 deposit now and the rest only when you get a reply from the Criminal Lawyer. All of this is 100% satisfaction guaranteed, so you can get a refund if you're not happy for any reason.
Customer: The guns were inherited by my son from his Father. Do I need to sell them?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Nisha Jones, Esq. replied 1 month ago.

Good morning, I am a Criminal Defense and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office. I'll be answering your questions today, please understand this is for informational purposes only, and we do not currently have an attorney-client relationship. Please allow me just a few minutes to prepare some information for you, thank you!

Thanks for your patience! Even though this was a non-violent felony conviction, it unfortunately still counts as a felony as far as gun rights are concerned, meaning he cannot own a gun.

However, there is a silver lining. Texas law DOES allow him to have a gun in his residence, 5 years after the date of his conviction. I know 5 years may seem like a long time to have to wait, but at least Texas lows provide for this caveat, and it's not an outright permanent ban.

The only other option for having his gun rights restored, is to get a pardon from the Governor. However, these are rarely ever granted, and the process can be very lengthy and expensive. My recommendation is to wait out the 5 years, and then go from there.

I hope that helps! Please let me know if you have any other questions. Also, please take a moment to rate me using the stars as this is the only way experts are compensated for our time here on 'just answer'. It doesn't cost you anything to rate me, and we can still continue our conversation for free after. Thanks!

Hi! Just checking in to see if you have any more questions? I hope I was able to address all of your concerns. Please let me know, I'm here to help. Thanks!