Nisha Jones, Esq.
Nisha Jones, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Managing Attorney at a Law Firm

I wanted to know how much time can aperson be in jail for

Customer Question

I wanted to know how much time can aperson be in jail for aggravated assault with deadly weapon
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Texas
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: He had a lawyer but now were just waiting foe his court
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Just how much time a person can be in jail for that. If they didnt shoot it just pointed it
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Nisha Jones, Esq. replied 1 month ago.

Good evening, I am a Criminal Defense and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office. I'll be answering your questions today, please understand this is for informational purposes only, and we do not currently have an attorney-client relationship. Please allow me just a few minutes to prepare some information for you, thank you!

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Okay ill be waiting for your response thank you

Thanks for your patience!

Aggravated assault with a deadly weapon is a 2nd degree felony which means the punishment range is 2 years up to 20 years, and up to a $10,000 fine.

That being said, the amount of time he could be faced with depends largely on the strength of the Prosecutor's case against him. If they don't have a very strong case (ie. not alot of evidence or witnesses), then he's looking at a lighter sentence. This is versus if they do have a strong case, then possibly something on the more extreme end of the sentencing guidelines.

In either event, I'm really happy to hear that he already has a lawyer. Having a good defense attorney fighting on your behalf can make the world of difference in his case.

I hope that helps! Please let me know if you have any other questions. Also, please take a moment to rate me using the stars as this is the only way experts are compensated for our time here on 'just answer'. It doesn't cost you anything to rate me, and we can still continue our conversation for free after. Thanks!

Just an FYI, his lawyer will know more about the specific details and facts of his case, and therefore should be able to give you a better estimation as to how light or how harsh of a sentence he may be facing.

Please don't forget to take a brief moment to rate me using the stars (it's free to rate me, and it's the only way I'm compensated for my time here on 'just answer') you can still ask me questions even after you rate me. Thanks!

Hi! Just checking in to see if you have any more questions? I hope I was able to address all of your concerns. Please let me know, I'm here to help. Thanks!