Loren, Lawyer
Experience:  Former administrative hearing officer

If I don't report income to the IRS, but I'm staying on my

Customer Question

If I don't report income to the IRS, but I'm staying on my own in a luxury hotel and making cash payments to them for the cost of the stay, can I be arrested or investigated for a crime? I work for my father and I get paid in cash which I want to continue to not have to report to the IRS. I'm technically a dependent on my father's tax report, but I'm a an adult with a college degree.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Loren replied 1 month ago.

Thank you for using JustAnswer. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs and former prosecutor, and I look forward to assisting you.

Expert:  Loren replied 1 month ago.

Good afternoon. I am Loren, a Florida licensed attorney and former prosecutor, and I look forward to assisting you. I am sorry to hear of your dilemma. I realize how frustrating this is for you and I hope to provide you information which is accurate and useful, even though it may not be the news you were hoping to get.

It is a crime to fail to report all income earned. This is true whether it is detected or not. If the IRS takes interest in the source of your funds then they can audit you and determine the source of the funds which support your lifestyle.

That is how most tax evaders are caught. Their lifestyle exceeds the income they report on their tax returns.

Expert:  Loren replied 1 month ago.

I realize this is probably not the answer you were hoping to receive. Also, please remember that this is not a moral judgement on my part. As a professional, however, I am sometimes placed in the position of having to deliver news which is not favorable to a customer's legal position, but accurately reflects their position under the law. I hate it, but it happens and I only ask that you not penalize me with a bad or poor rating for having to deliver less than favorable news.

Expert:  Loren replied 1 month ago.

If you have no further questions, and have not yet done so, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page) so that I am credited by JustAnswer for assisting you.

There is no additional charge to you for rating me.
A bonus is not required, but is always appreciated.