Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Lawyer
Experience:  Numerous criminal trials ranging from traffic to murder, practicing Criminal Law for 20+ years.

I got a public intoxication ticket and I am 18. I was at a

Customer Question

I got a public intoxication ticket and I am 18. I was at a concert and the people I was with were over 21. I was not holding any alcohol and was not forced to take a sobriety test. There was alcohol in the cooler I was sitting near. I'm going to plead not guilty but I'm just wondering how to go about it
JA: In what state did this occur?
Customer: Connecticut
JA: Have you talked to a laywer yet?
Customer: No I haven't
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I got a ticket a few months ago for underage drinking at a dinner. The server served me and I think the ticket was called liquor control act? I'm not sure but I plead guilty and payed a ticket. There was no court appearance.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Starting 9/22 I have a lisence suspension for the first ticket awhile ago. Will this second add on to it even if I plead not guilty?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The lisence suspension is 30 days.
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 month ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to helping you today.

As to how you plead guilty, you will have an appearance at court. If you were issued a citation it should have a court appearance date on that although some have just a box you check and you send the ticket back in with a check next to the "not guilty" box. If you actually have to go to court then you would have a court appearance date for what is known as a docket call. At this docket call the judge would ask you how you plead and you will just state "Not Guilty". The judge will then give you a date for a trial. You can hire a lawyer before then or at that point, hiring one before the appearance date is the smart thing to do.

As to whether the second one adds to the first, after you have your trial and if you are found guilty then that amount of suspension time adds to the amount you are already serving.

If your question has been answered then I'd offer my best wishes to you and ask that you please not forget to leave a Positive Rating so I receive credit for my work. Of course, please feel free to ask any follow up questions in this thread. I want to be sure that all of your questions are answered.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Will the dmv be notified if I plead not guilty and win?
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 month ago.

Not specifically. It will be posted to your criminal history that it was a not guilty and all law enforcement has access to it. Also, if the DMV has filed anything against you through the court then they would be notified but normally the only way they know specifically is if you or your attorney notify them.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The dmv has filed something through the court to me. They suspended my lisence for 30 days for a similar ticket. That's why I'm so nervous
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 month ago.

This one will be a longer suspension if you're found guilty. However, they should receive a copy of the verdict whether you're found not guilty or guilty but your lawyer will likely send them one anyway just to be certain.