Colleen Grady
Colleen Grady, Attorney and Counselor at Law
Experience:  Attorney and Counselor at Law
81266493

I am in Lancaster County Nebraska what grounds do I have to

Customer Question

I am in Lancaster County Nebraska what grounds do I have to hire a public defender also do I have a right to have the results of a test done on a glass pipe I came up positive for methamphetamines retested
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Colleen Grady replied 4 months ago.

Hello. I will help you today. I have been an attorney for 27 years. I am reviewing your question and will be back to you shortly.

Give me a short time to prepare a complete answer for you.

Here is a response to your first question. You will have to ask the judge to appoint a Public Defender to represent you. The judge's decision is based on how serious the charges are and whether the judge believes that you could afford to hire your own attorney. If you ask for an attorney, you will probably be asked questions about your financial situation.

In order to request an attorney, you should contact the clerk of the county court who will schedule you before a judge. Here is the contact number for the clerk:

Clerk of the District Court

575 S 10th St, 3rd Floor Phone(###) ###-####/p>

As far as the retesting of drug evidence, this can be done by your attorney. The attorney needs to make motion to the judge called: "Motion to Produce for Independent Testing." If the motion is granted, your attorney will have a different lab test the evidence. You may have to pay for this test. Check with the attorney who represents you.

Please let me know if I can help more. If you are satisfied with my help, please rate me.