Barrister, Criminal Defense Law
Experience:  16 years practicing criminal defense.
19958803

I was told I have a warrant but the police told me when I

Customer Question

I was told I have a warrant but the police told me when I called it wasn't a felony. I was told by someone it was. How can I find out if it is a felony and for what it's for?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 9 months ago.

Hello. My name is Alex.
Thank you for your question.
I will be happy to provide you with information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Did you hire an experienced local criminal defense attorney to represent you in your pending criminal case?

Are you hiding from the police?

How did you find out about this arrest warrant?

Please provide me with more details.

Thank you.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
My girl friends lawyer for another case told her about the warrant. No I'm not hiding but I'm not in TX right now. I do not have an attorney I didn't know about the warrant.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I called the police department who told me it was not a felony but my girl friends lawyer told her it was

Thank you for your follow up.

What did police department tell you the warrant was for?

Are you planning to voluntarily surrender on this warrant?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
The police department told me they couldn't what it was for but its not a felony and gave me an address to turn myself in on tuesday
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Honestly no I don't plan on turning myself in at this time

Thank you for your follow up.

Do you realize that arrest warrants never expire and the wanted person can be arrested and extradited in another state?

Also, the risks of wanted person of being injured or worst, if the person is picked on an arrest warrant is much greater, than if the wanted person is to turn himself in?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
How do I find out what warrant is for and if it's felony or not?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I'm turning myself in Tuesday like the cop said not tonight

Thank you for your follow up.

If the police would not release the information related to the arrest warrant, then the only other option would be to hire an experienced local attorney in Texas, where the warrant is issued and this local attorney will be able to obtain the information about the warrant and also about the pending criminal charges and also will be able to arrange for a surrender and a bail / bond for the release while case is pending.

You can find an experienced and skilled local criminal law attorney by using this established and reputable attorney information / referral websites:

www.lexmundi.com
www.martindale.com
www.lawyers.com
www.legalmatch.com
When, choosing a local attorney to represent you, it would be a good idea to choose someone who has a practice exclusively dedicated to criminal law, has at least 10 years of experience and handled similar matters and also regularly practices before the court located in the jurisdiction where your matter might be heard.
I wish you the best of luck!

Expert:  Barrister replied 9 months ago.

Hello, I see you requested a new professional so I will attempt to help. My name is ***** ***** it is a little odd that they won't tell you what the warrant is for since once the warrant is issued, it is public information..

.

However, you might be able to input your name and DOB on this site to see if it comes up with an outstanding warrant from Ft Worth..

.

https://apps.fortworthtexas.gov/warrantsonline/

.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

.

thanks

.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Nope none showed up on that site. Anywhere else to check?

that is their official site... so if it isn't showing up there, it might not have been entered into their system or maybe not even issued yet..

.

Not trying to scare you, but I would tend to believe the attorney over the police as they have a tendency to lie to make their jobs easier. If you knew it was a felony you might be charged with, you might be less likely to turn yourself in...

.

So I think if it were me I would either ask girlfriend's attorney to see if he would get you more details or hire your own attorney and have him investigate before you just appear and get locked up. It is hard to maneuver from behind bars and do things like arrange for bail...

.

.

thanks