AttyHeather
AttyHeather, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with 15 years experience
93913325

On August 8 my HR guy was supeana to testify at a grand jury

Customer Question

on August 8 my HR guy was supeana to testify at a grand jury on August 10th and to bring some documents the prosecutor requested.I wanted to know since this is a grand jury investigation does it take longer to know if an indictment was approved by the grand jury. We haven't heard anything yet and didn't know if the prosecutor was trying to present more evidence or what was going on.His last email to my atty was August 22 which seems to me he might being trying to reconvene the grand jury or he has nothing and is just keeping us in suspense.He stated on August 22 "As we discussed, the state’s authority for investigative grand juries rests on, inter alia, Art. I, § 8, of the Alaska Constitution: “The power of grand juries to investigate and make recommendations concerning the public welfare or safety shall never be suspended.”
I am not currently in a position to answer your questions regarding the identity of potential grand jury targets or potential charges. However, I will notify you prior to any grand jury hearing that I would expect to result in an indictment of HHCI.
I intend to be in touch with you during the week of Sept. 12, 2016, regarding this case.
Thank you," can you give me some input on this
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  AttyHeather replied 4 months ago.

Hi! I'm Heather. I've been a practicing attorney for the last 15 years, and I'd be happy to assist you for informational and educational purposes.

Sometimes the grand jury can come back with no indictment, and if that happens, the prosecutor can go back to the grand jury and present more evidence to see if they come back with the indictment. That might be what's going on.

Also, keep in mind that in many jurisdictions, the grand jury sits for months and hears more than just your case. Since they have other matters to consider, they might not have made a decision yet.

Has that answered your question?

Can you let me know if I've answered your question? Also, you are free to ask follow up questions at no extra charge, so let me know if there is anything else I can assist with.