Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with over 20 years law enforcement, prosecution, civil rights and defense experience

My attention was called by the security officer in Laughlin,

Customer Question

Hi. My attention was called by the security officer in Laughlin, when a pipe bottle fell into the pocket of my pants on the floor, thus I was issued a ticket for a Civil Offense for possession of drug paraphernalia and a small amount of ampethamine. I am advised to appear in the Tribal Court on Sept.7. I live in california, can I just call them or what is the best thing for me to do. What is consequence of this cIvil offense.?
JA: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in? What confuses you?
Customer: Arizona
JA: Have you talked to a laywer yet?
Customer: not yet?
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: that it, I was not being detained because I was not using it, it just so happened that It fell accidentally on my pocket but released afterwards after questioning and giving me a citation ticket.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I live in California and it is an***** do I really need to appear in court, what will gonna happen next? (Security cameras will tell that I never used that in their premises, I was just there at the food court chatting with my friend).
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 month ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
You cannot just "call in" I am afraid. You have to either make a personal appearance or you would need to hire an attorney to appear in the tribal court for you. Failure to do so will result in them issuing a warrant for your failure to appear, which they could seek to have you arrested on for contempt of court.
If you want to plead not guilty and go to trial and prove that this just fell into your pant pocket, then you need to appear and use a local attorney if you are not going to pay their fine, which is only a civil matter and does not go onto your criminal record.