Colleen Grady
Colleen Grady, Attorney and Counselor at Law
Experience:  Attorney and Counselor at Law
81266493

This is hard to explain. My son is 19. he just told me that

Customer Question

This is hard to explain. My son is 19. he just told me that another family of a female aquaintance filed a "peace order" saying they have it recorded that my son threatened them. But My son didn't tell me or his father because he didn't think about it. Now the hearing is past. I am concerned what can I do? My son said he never said or did anything like that and doesn't know why the parents did this. Parents are very protective of their daughter . she has problems and has runaway several times.
JA: In what state did this occur?
Customer: maryland
JA: Have you talked to a laywer yet?
Customer: No I just found out about this.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: My son is bringing me the peace order in a few minutes. My son told me sometime ago, that the parents didn't like their daughter to be around people and smoke pot. I told him to stay away from daughter and respect their request. But this is different. He never said this . it is in effect until 2018.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Colleen Grady replied 4 months ago.

Hello. I will help you today. I have been an attorney for 27 years. I am reviewing your question and will be back to you shortly.

If your son give you the order, can you please take a picture of it and attach a copy here?

This is what a Peace Order looks like: http://mdcourts.gov/district/forms/peace/dcpo001.pdf

It is important that you look at your son's order carefully. One positive is that this type of order is issued by a civil court, which means that your son will not have a criminal record. However, if he violates the order and by doing anything prohibited by the order, he can be arrested for a misdemeanor. This would mean he would have a criminal record if convicted. Hopefully this will not happen.

Even if he does not have a criminal record, the order will remain a public record. Anyone will be able to see this record. A future employer doing a background check will be able to see it. Maryland law does have the "Shield Law" that may protect your son. Your son may file a written request to shield (to remove from public inspection) the court records relating to a Peace Order if:

"The petitioner (the girl) or the respondent (your son) may file a written request to shield (to remove from public inspection) the court records relating to a Protective Order or a Peace Order if: (1) the Petition for a Protective Order or the Petition for a Peace Order is denied or dismissed at the interim, temporary, or final hearing (it sounds like the hearing has already happened); or

(2) the respondent has consented to the entry of a Protective Order or a Peace Order (I am not sure if this happened in your son's case). A request for shielding may not be filed earlier than three (3) years after the denial or dismissal of the Petition or after the consent expires unless the requesting party files a General Waiver and Release form, CC-DC-077, which is a release of all the requesting party's claims for damages relating to this proceeding and any tort claims that may arise out of this proceeding. The court will schedule a hearing on the request to shield, after which a judge will rule on the request."

Please let me know if I can help more. If you are satisfied with my help, please rate me.