Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Lawyer
Experience:  Numerous criminal trials ranging from traffic to murder, practicing Criminal Law for 20+ years.

My 18 year old son got arrested for marijuana possession at

Customer Question

my 18 year old son got arrested for marijuana possession at UNH. Less than a 1/4 ounce. does he need a lawyer or should he just plead guilty and pay a fine?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 month ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to helping you today.

It's my belief that no one should just "plead guilty" any more because of the fact that backgrounds checks are so quick and inexpensive now. If your son hires a lawyer and hasn't had any criminal problems before then it is likely the lawyer can get some type of plea worked out that results in there not being a conviction on his record. This can be either through a "pretrial diversion" or through a "deferred adjudication".

While he will likely spend more on the lawyer than he would have gotten for a fine, not having the conviction on his record is worth it.

If your question has been answered then I'd offer my best wishes to you and ask that you please not forget to leave a Positive Rating so I receive credit for my work. Of course, please feel free to ask any follow up questions in this thread. I want to be sure that all of your questions are answered.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
What are the typical fines for possession of a small amount of marijuana?
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 month ago.

If it is just possession then it can be up to $2000. If it is possession with intent to sale then it can be $25,000.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I know $2000 is the max that can be found on the web. There was no intent to sell. Is the max fine typical? What is typical for this small amount?
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 month ago.

I wouldn't say it's the typical amount but it isn't unusual. Typical would be somewhere between $1000 and $2000.