How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LawTalk Your Own Question
LawTalk, Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 36125
Experience:  30 years legal experience
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
LawTalk is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My husband backed into a parked vehicle and didn't even

Customer Question

My husband backed into a parked vehicle and didn't even realize he had hit it until he got home and found glass on his bumper (he has a very large truck and thought he ran over a curb). He was just about to go back when the phone rang and the police were on the other end. They came over and gave my husband a summons to court in one week.
Should we get a lawyer?
Submitted: 5 months ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  LawTalk replied 5 months ago.

Good afternoon Elizabeth,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

Yes, you should definitely get an attorney to represent your husband. He has been charged with leaving the scene of an accident with is a misdemeanor criminal offense and if convicted will result in a permanent criminal record.

Under CT law, a conviction of this law renders the defendant subject to up to one year in prison, a fine of $75 to $600, or both for a first violation. Additionally, he would be subject to a driver's license suspension of at least 90 days based on a conviction of leaving the scene.

If he can convince the judge in a trial that he was entirely unaware that he had collided with another vehicle, then he can potentially avoid a conviction. The attorney will be invaluable in helping to prove his innocence, or in negotiating a plea agreement that may avoid a criminal record.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

I hope that I have been able to fully answer your question. As I am not an employee of JustAnswer, please be so kind as to rate my service to you. That is the only way I am compensated for assisting you. Thank you in advance.

I wish you and yours the best in 2016,