Nisha Jones, Esq.
Nisha Jones, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Managing Attorney at a Law Firm
93473422

I was questioned by the police about changing the number of

Customer Question

I was questioned by the police about changing the number of pills on a prescription. He continued to tell me if I tell the truth it will help me, etc. It happened at first by accident, not knowing the actual number, when I was in a car accident on the way home from getting the script. It was marked next to the number, then I fixed it. Not thinking. I had a concussion, but they know that and I'm scared out of my mind.
JA: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in? And when did this happen?
Customer: I was just questioned yesterday, the prescription was from January. I'm in NY
JA: Have you talked to a laywer yet?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I was very honest about what happened. Does this cost money to connect to a lawyer?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Nisha Jones, Esq. replied 6 months ago.

Good morning, I am a Criminal Defense and Immigration Law attorney and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office. I'll be answering your questions today, please understand this is for informational purposes only, and we do not currently have an attorney-client relationship. Please allow me just a few minutes to prepare some information for you, thank you!

The criminal charge you can potentially face here is called Criminal Possession of a Forged Instrument, it's found under New York Penal Law 170.25. Basically what this criminal charge alleges is that "you possess a completed or modified written instrument you know is fake and you do so with the intent to defraud or deceive another."

That being said, you should know that the Prosecutor still has to prove their case (if in fact a criminal charge ends up being brought against you). If that happens, and criminal charges are filed against you, I recommend hiring a criminal defense lawyer right away to represent you. Having a good lawyer can make the world of difference. This is especially true since you potentially have some very valid defenses with having suffered a concussion, and any other related medical issues.

You should also know that under the rules of evidence, anything you say to the officers is admissible in court, and can be used against you. So I recommend not speaking with them anymore, and if they contact you to ask you any more questions you should let them know that you won't be answering any more questions and that you'll put them in touch with your lawyer instead.

I hope that helps! Please let me know if you have any more questions, I'm here to help! Also, please take a moment to kindly rate me using the stars as this is the only way experts are compensated for our time here on 'just answer'. It doesn't cost you anything to rate me, and we can still continue our conversation for free after. Thanks!

I also wanted to let you know that a Criminal Possession of a Forged Instrument in the Second Degree is a "D" felony punishable by up to seven years in prison for even a first time offender. I want to repeat my earlier suggestion, that if formal charges are filed against you, you hire a criminal defense attorney right away, to bring up all valid defenses and evidence on your behalf.

Other possible outcomes include probation, rehabilitative classes, a fine, or dismissal of the case altogether. I hope that helps, let me know if you have any more questions, and please don't forget to kindly rate me using the stars (it's free) and we can still continue talking after. Thanks!

Hi! Just checking in to see if you have any more questions? I hope I was able to address all of your concerns. Please let me know, thanks!