Nisha Jones, Esq.
Nisha Jones, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Managing Attorney at a Law Firm
93473422

I was assulted while in custody of the dc police while in

Customer Question

I was assulted while in custody of the dc police while in holding and i want to press charges. what do i need to do can you help me please?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Nisha Jones, Esq. replied 3 months ago.

Good afternoon, I am a Criminal Defense and Immigration Law attorney and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office. I'll be answering your questions today, please understand this is for informational purposes only, and we do not currently have an attorney-client relationship. Please allow me just a few minutes to prepare some information for you, thank you!

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
understood, Smile.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I was in DC Police Custody and I was attacked and knocked out and then hit again a second time over the top ot my head where I had Brain surgery and I want to sue the department. and I am pressing charges on them individuals that attacked me.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
hello, I've got to go you can reach me at(###) ###-####

First of all, I'm sorry that this occurred and for the injustice you suffered, that's definitely not acceptable. I'm glad to hear that you are already looking into suing the police department, that was going to be one of my first recommendations.

You should also notify the Maryland Internal Affairs, and provide them with the names of the officers and some other basic information pertaining to the date of your arrest, when you were detained, and the assault that occurred, and they will launch an official investigation into those officers. This is the phone number to the IA Department(###) ###-####

Here's a link that also has some other contact info for them that you may find useful:

http://mdsp.maryland.gov/organization/pages/officeofthesuperintendent/internalaffairsdivision.aspx

The other thing I was going to suggest was bringing criminal charges agaisnt them for the assault and battery. You mentioned that you already began that process, have you spoken with the DA or someone from the prosecutor's office?

I hope that helps! Please let me know if you have any other questions. Also, please take a moment to rate me using the stars as this is the only way experts are compensated for our time here on 'just answer'. It doesn't cost you anything to rate me, and we can still continue our conversation for free after. Thanks!

'Just answer' procedural rules only allow me to speak with you here on this message thread, however phone calls are available for a small additional fee. I can send you the link if that's something you're still interested in after reading my answer, just let me know.

Did you say this occurred in DC, not Maryland? My apologies, but I want to send you the correct contact information for the DC Internal Affairs to make sure you get in touch with the right personnel. I mistakenly sent you the Maryland IA contact info. Everything else I told you is correct, let me know if you have any more questions. Also, if you already have an attorney, they can do the work of contacting the Internal Affairs Bureau for you so that you don't have to go through the undue stress of rehashing all the details of the abuse while in custody of the DC police.

DC Internal Affairs Bureau phone number:

(###) ###-####/p>

And the Internal Affairs Bureau website:

http://mpdc.dc.gov/page/internal-affairs-bureau

Let me know if you have any more questions, or if you want to talk more over a phone call, I'm here to help!

Good evening! I just wanted to check in and make sure you received my response, and make sure you didn't have any other questions. Let me know, thanks!!