LawTalk, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years legal experience

I was stopped by the police and was given a ticket for

Customer Question

I was stopped by the police and was given a ticket for uninsured driver. I was in my new vehicle that I just picked up from an independent OWNER and was on way home I have insurance on my other vehicles and have talked to my insurance co and they told me that I have a grace period. should the ticket have been no proof of insurance not uninsured .worried I may go to jail and lose my license
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 month ago.

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

Fortunately, you do have insurance coverage on your other vehicles and under your policy terms you are automatically covered on a newly acquired vehicle so long as you contact the insurance company and insure it within a state period of time---generally somewhere between 10 days and 30 days depending on the insurer.

Just insure your car and the insurance company will issue you a proof of insurance card showing the retroactive coverage.

You will have to go to court on the date set on the citation but when you show that the vehicle was insured and it was simply newly acquired, the judge will dismiss the citation and you will not have to pay a fine. You definitely will not go to jail or lose your license. These are regularly seen issues in the traffic courts and the judges are good about dismissing the citations when you show proof of insurance.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

I hope that I have been able to fully answer your question. As I am not an employee of JustAnswer, please be so kind as to rate my service to you. That is the only way I am compensated for assisting you. Thank you in advance.

I wish you and yours the best in 2016,

Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 month ago.

Good afternoon,

I sense that your questions and issues might be better served by an in-depth conversation with me. If you are interested, for a very nominal charge I can offer you a private phone conference.

Please know that I answered your question in good faith, providing you with the information that you asked for, and I did that with the expectation that you would act likewise and rate my service to you. If I have already provided you with the information you asked for and you have no additional questions, would you please now rate my service to you so I can be compensated for assisting you?

Thanks in advance,