Asad Rahman
Asad Rahman, Lawyer
Experience:  Practicing Attorney with 10 years experience

Are subpoenas a matter of public record, and if so how do I

Customer Question

Are subpoenas a matter of public record, and if so how do I find out if someone is trying to subpoena me as a witness in a criminal case?
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the subpoena was issued in?
Customer: I'm not sure that it was issued, but I live in the state of CA and the case is being tried in the state of CA.
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No.
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: Basically, a colleague/former friend is being accused of domestic violence (pretty serious charges). The case is super messy, with neither party willing to admit any guilt. I have a feeling that I may get subpoenaed. I really want no part of it. Due to an MOU between him and our mutual employer he can't have any contact with employees of my institution, so I can't ask him.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Asad Rahman replied 1 month ago.

They can be but not always. sometimes they are not filed by the court. There's really no way to know unless you have been served with one directly.

Let me know if you have any other questions, otherwise a positive rating would be greatly appreciated.