Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.

I received a letter from Nordstrom stating that they were

Customer Question

hi - I received a letter from Nordstrom stating that they were investigating my refund activity which revealed numerous questionable and problematic refunds. they want to schedule an Appt with me to discuss and see how best to resolve this matter. from what I gathered on various forums this is a generic letter that they give to "serial" returns
JA: Because laws vary from state to state, could you tell me what state is this in?
Customer: California
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: I am not sure what this is about... they told me I had 10 days to give my inputs or they would conclude the investigation without me. I was on vacation and it's now past due I left a VM to the LP manager but he hasn't returned my call I don't know what this is about
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Colleen Grady replied 1 month ago.

Hello. I will help you today. I have been an attorney for 27 years. I am reviewing your question and will be back to you shortly.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
They sent me this letter certified mail to an old address that I don't live at anymore. That's also why it took 7 days for the letter to arrive to my new mailing address. It's almost lucky UPS was able to track my new address so I can address the matter before they file some charges against me. What should I do. I definitely don't want to go to the meeting. I read that it's most likely to force me to confess to what ever they think I did which again I am not sure of

Many retail stores track customer returns that are numerous. Many of customer returns are honest. This is an internal auditing system to investigate returns that may be stolen and may involve a network of thieves. If you are concerned, have an attorney contact the store. You don't have to go to any meeting you don't want to go to.

If they are saying they may file charges, contact an attorney to look into this for you. Do not talk to the store.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Is that system specific to a store or a set of stores in say California or even the entire United state? The number in the letter is from the San Francisco office but the letter was sent from the San Jose store. That's very confusing.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No they didn't say they were going to file charges in the letter. Again I am not even sure what they have as the letter is super generic. This being said, they might have concluded their investigation and be filing charges as we speak. I am even scared of going to the post office to renew my passport as I don't want to get arrested.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
How do I conclude this and make it go away ? I don't want to live in fear that I might be arrested on my next trip going to Europe or Los Angeles

Nordstrom is a large corporation. I am not sure why the number is ***** San Francisco.

You can have an attorney call Nordstrom for you and find out what the issues are. Then the attorney can advise you better.