Nisha Jones, Esq.
Nisha Jones, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Managing Attorney at a Law Firm
93473422

I received a theft class c ticket and have my court date

Customer Question

Hi, I received a theft class c ticket and have my court date tomorrow morning. I have not hired a lawyer yet. What are my options, if any?
JA: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in? And to clarify, can you tell me what paperwork has been filed?
Customer: Tx
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: I have no idea, I've never been in trouble with the law and don't know much about these things
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Nisha Jones, Esq. replied 3 months ago.

Good evening, I am a Criminal Defense and Immigration Law attorney and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office. I'll be answering your questions today, please understand this is for informational purposes only, and we do not currently have an attorney-client relationship.

A theft class c misdemeanor in Texas is punishable by a fine of no more than $500, and does not carry a penalty for any jail time.

You have the final decision on whether you'd like to hire a lawyer, but since the infraction doesn't carry the risk of jail time, you might want to save your money and just pay the fine? Of course hiring a lawyer to fight on your behalf could possibly mean that you pay less of a fine, or no fine at all, or have the case completely dismissed. You should weigh all those factors and then decide from there whether you'd like to hire an attorney.

I hope that helps! The relevant statute is:

Tex. Pen. Code Ann. § 31.03(e)(1)(A) (theft c misdemeanor, an amount less than $50)

Please let me know if you have any other questions. Also, please take a moment to rate me using the stars as this is the only way experts are compensated for our time here on 'just answer'. It doesn't cost you anything to rate me, and we can still continue our conversation for free after. Thanks!

Hi, just checking in to see whether you have any more questions. Let me know, I'm here to help!