Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with over 20 years law enforcement, prosecution, civil rights and defense experience

I last my rights 10 years ago to my child and i guess there

Customer Question

i last my rights 10 years ago to my child and i guess there was a no contact order, my daughter now 13 contact me threw f******* and we have in in contact since, what kid of trouble am i looking at when i didnt know there was a no contact i lost
JA: Because laws vary from state to state, could you tell me what state is this in?
Customer: ohio
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: nope
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: that it
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 month ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
If there is a no contact order and the other parent learns of this contact, they can file a motion for contempt of court against you and actually the court can jail you for violating the no contact order. Unfortunately, if you lost your parental rights 10 years ago, you have no legal right to contact the minor and with a no contact order in place, violation can result in the other parent getting you arrested and jailed for violating that order. The no contact order is valid until the child is 18 and can decide on their own as an adult if they want to contact you or not, until then the other parent has the right and if they want to allow contact, they have to go to court to vacate the no contact order.