Nisha Jones, Esq.
Nisha Jones, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Managing Attorney at a Law Firm
93473422

The police were called to a disturbance at a trailer house

Customer Question

The police were called to a disturbance at a trailer house my son was there at the time. They searched him and found a small amount of meth and a pipe, he has an extensive criminal record but never for drugs. We live in the state of Mn. what is he possibly looking at for prison and/or probation time?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Nisha Jones, Esq. replied 3 months ago.

Good evening, I am a Criminal Defense attorney and former Miami Prosecutor. Please note I can answer your questions for informational purposes, we do not currently have an attorney-client relationship.

It depends on how much meth was found on him, these are misdemeanor charges, which means that they are punishable by up to one year and jail, but possible sentences also include probation, rehabilitative programs, or some combination of the above.

Since you've stated that he has an extensive record, the Court may not be so inclined to grant him a lenient sentence.

However, you stated that he was searched by officers at the scene of a disturbance- in situations like this, and any time officers are searching an individual, there are certain procedural rules they must follow- if any of these are broken or not followed correctly, and evidence the officers obtained could possibly be inadmissible against your son.

I would recommend hiring a criminal defense attorney in your area right away. Having a good attorney can make the world of difference, and even though it's early on in your son's case, there's alot than can be done even now.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
They said it was a felony charge so I am not sure how much they exactly found.

Okay, increases the potential prison time and well as potential fines.

The amount he possessed would determine which level felony he's being charged with, or whether he's also being charged with the intent to distribute.

Felonies range from 3rd degree to 1st degree, and range in prison sentences from 5 to 15 years, and possible fines range from $5000 - $15,000.

If formal charges have not yet been filed against him by the Prosecutor's office, you can request a copy of the police report, and it should list what exactly his charges are.

I would recommend hiring a defense attorney in your local area. Having the right attorney can make the world of difference, and even though it's early on in your son's case there is still alot that may be done on his behalf.

I hope that was helpful, best of luck to your son! Please let me know if you have any additional questions.

Also before leaving this page, please take the time to kindly leave a positive rating for me by clicking on the stars, as that is the only way experts are paid for their time even though you may have already paid a deposit to the site. Follow-up questions asked in this thread do not cost anything additional after leaving a positive rating, we can still continue our conversation free of charge to you. Thank you.

Did you have any further questions?

Please be sure to rate me using the stars, this is no additional cost to you! And we can still continue our conversation for free even after you've rated me. Thank you! I hope I was able to address all of your concerns.

Good evening, just wanted to make sure you don't have any follow-up questions from our earlier conversation? I hope I was able to address all of your concerns.

Please take a moment to leave me a positive rating using the stars, this does not come at any additional cost to you, it's just the way attorneys are compensated for their time here on 'just answer'. And you are still able to ask me any additional questions and receive answers from me for free even after you rate me. Thank you!