Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

I stole from L***and T***** J***, and M****** I** A*** law

Customer Question

I stole from L***and T***** J***, and M****** I** A*** law sent me mail to pay 500$. Do I have to pay it?
JA: Because laws vary from state to state, could you tell me what state is this in?
Customer: New York
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: When I gave my information to them I told them i was 13 and Im actually 17
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Nisha Jones, Esq. replied 3 months ago.

Good afternoon, I am a Criminal Defense attorney and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's office, I believe I can help you with your concerns.

You are not required to pay the amount requested in the letter. However, even though it's not REQUIRED there are a few factors consider:

1. these are often sent out in cases like this as sort of a promise not to proceed with a civil lawsuit against you, if you pay the amount requested.

2. that's not always guaranteed- and sometimes they still proceed with the civil lawsuit.

So it's up to you whether you think it's worth taking the chance to pay it, in hopes they don't proceed with a civil lawsuit.