Nisha Jones, Esq.
Nisha Jones, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Managing Attorney at a Law Firm

I had a question about a fake Dr's note for work. I was

Customer Question

Hi. I had a question about a fake Dr's note for work. I was waiting on the one from my dr which I should get today. Are there criminal charges for giving a fake note to my work?
JA: Because laws vary from state to state, could you tell me what state is this in?
Customer: Virginia
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: That's teally it. I've not done anything like this before and was panicked for losing my job. I had FMLA and ran out of time
JA: OK. To minimize me, please click the down arrow at the top right corner of this box.
Customer: And what should after minimizing the window
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  TexCrimLawyer, J.D. replied 2 months ago.

Hello. I'll be happy to assist you.

To answer your question directly, not there are not criminal charges that could be brought against you for bringing a fake doctor's note to work. The only way I could see that it would be a crime is if you forged the signature of a real doctor, in theory, that could be a crime. That said, I'm not aware of ANY police department that would charge that as a crime. It's just too minor for the police to get involved with.

Expert:  Nisha Jones, Esq. replied 1 month ago.

Good afternoon, I am a Criminal Defense attorney and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office. Two things I think you should know:

1. The police are not going to arrest you for this, you can't get into trouble for forging a doctor's note.

2. Since FMLA is involved, if your job becomes aware of anything suspicious or fraudulent on a larger scale, they could report that and an investigation for Fraud would be launched, and that could potentially result in criminal fraud charges being brought against you.

From what you shared though, I don't think you have anything to worry about. I hope that was helpful!

Please remember to kindly leave a positive rating for me by clicking on the stars, as that is the only way experts are paid for their time even though you may have already paid a deposit to the site. Follow-up questions asked in this thread do not cost anything additional after leaving a positive rating.

If you need clarification about my answer or additional information, please use the SEND or REPLY button to continue our conversation. Your satisfaction is my goal and I am here to help!

Expert:  TexCrimLawyer, J.D. replied 1 month ago.

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask. If not, please remember to "Rate" my answer before you go.

Good evening, just wanted to make sure you don't have any follow-up questions from our earlier conversation? I hope I was able to address all of your concerns.

Please take a moment to leave me a positive rating using the stars, this does not come at any additional cost to you, it's just the way attorneys are compensated for their time here on 'just answer'. And you are still able to ask me any additional questions and receive answers from me for free even after you rate me. Thank you!