Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with over 20 years law enforcement, prosecution, civil rights and defense experience
10285032

I was convicted of a 3rd dwi in 2008 and i am looking for

Customer Question

i was convicted of a 3rd dwi in 2008 and i am looking for information about getting my civil rights restored. More specifically my right to bear arms.
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Texas
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: I was released from probation in December of 2014
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: not sure
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 3 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
I am afraid to get a restoration of your gun rights with a felony conviction, it will require you to file a petition for pardon with full restoration of rights with the governor's board of pardon and parole. Unfortunately, as you completed your sentence only 2 years ago, the chances of you receiving such a pardon and restoration would not be great and the pardon board typically wants 5-10 years since the end of your sentence before they will consider pardon and restoration of gun rights.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
That is what I have been seeing. Once the 5-10yrs has passed is there an actual chance a pardon will be given or is this a wasted effort? Everything that I am seeing is that their is a snowball's chance in hell that pardon's are given out.I do not want to waste time or money on something that is rarely if at all given out.
Thank you for your reply.
We cannot predict the chances of a pardon, but we can say generally about 5% or so of the pardon applications filed are granted in Texas. So as I said, the only hope is a pardon and they are not freely granted.