Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
18321761

I have a friend in jail and her attorney is wanting her to

Customer Question

I have a friend in jail and her attorney is wanting her to sign off on a continuance due to the transcript of the cell phone pings not being done. They have the co ordinates of the cell phone pings but not the transcript. Could it take over 2 months to get.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 3 months ago.

Who needs the transcript, the prosecution or the defense? What will the transcript show that makes it important?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Her defense, but she has been in jail for 8 months and just had the Pre Lim and wanting a quick trial date, it will show where she was at which is not at the murder scene.
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 3 months ago.

I am sorry for the delay, but your reply to me came after midnight, when I had already turned off my computer for the night.

You did not actually ask a question, but I assume your friend is wondering what to do under these circumstances. Based on what I see, if your friend wants to go to trial on her case and she expects to win with an alibi defense, she's going to need the information which will exonorate her. She should talk to her lawyer, but if there's no other way to establish her alibi than to have the transcript she is seeking, she's going to have to agree to the continuance to get the evidence she needs.

Otherwise, what good is a quick trial if she ends up convicted of the charges?

Again, there may be some other way to establish her alibi and she can brainstorm that with her lawyer. Or there may be a better defense than an alibi defense that could get her acquitted. That too would be something that her lawyer would know. But if neither of these sentences apply, she needs to wait for the transcripts.

I think this is what you want to know. If not, please reply and clarify your question.

Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 3 months ago.

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.