Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with over 20 years law enforcement, prosecution, civil rights and defense experience

Do you know what the law is in Mexico - my sister used my

Customer Question

Do you know what the law is in Mexico - my sister used my father's debit card, was not the beneficiary, and spent a lot of money after his death. Is this a serious crime?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 2 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
If her name was not on the account, then this is actually a theft, as she did not have authorization upon his death to use the card or access the funds in the account. You can file criminal charges for theft with the police or the District Attorney against her and it is solely at the DA's discretion as to whether or not it will pursue criminal charges or refer you to sue in civil court.
Also, it is grounds to file a civil suit against her by the estate to recover all of the money she took from the account.