Hammer O'Justice
Hammer O'Justice, Criminal Lawyer
Experience:  Almost 12 years of legal experience, primarily in criminal law

In the last couple years I was charge with 9 Felonies and 2

Customer Question

In the last couple years I was charge with 9 Felonies and 2 misdemeanors, my CPL was suspended at the time. Waiting for the results of the case. I plead guilty to a felony and 2 misdemeanors, which then I was sent to Veterans court and on completion the file was sealed and the charges were dropped. I received my guns back after a long period of having to wait on the police department. Now I was wondering if I was able to re apply for my CPL since everything was dropped, I live in michigan and don't know what I am able to do.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Hammer O'Justice replied 2 months ago.

If your convictions were vacated and expunged, then you should not have a problem getting the CPL reinstated. The requirements for getting a CPL are lengthy, but I am assuming that you were only suspended because of the charges:,4643,7-123-1878_1591_3503_4654-10926--,00.html

The laws regarding prohibition on a CPL or even for possessing a gun only apply when you have certain kinds of convictions. But once the convictions are vacated, they no longer exist legally, so they no longer operate as a bar to your getting your CPL.

I'm sorry you are getting the run around from the county clerk but they should be reinstating your license:

"If a county clerk suspended a license under this subsection and the individual is acquitted of the charge or the charge is dismissed, the individual shall notify the county clerk who shall automatically reinstate the license if the license is not expired and the individual is otherwise qualified to receive a license to carry a concealed pistol, as verified by the department of state police. A county clerk shall not charge a fee for the reinstatement of a license under this subsection."

You should be able to show them the paperwork stating that the charge was dismissed to get it reinstated.

Hope this helps.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I forgot to add that after All this was completed, while at the county clerks office they said my CPL had been revoked..

OK. It was probably revoked during the time when the conviction was still on your record, because with a conviction you not only cannot have a CPL, you cannot even possess a gun. Now that the conviction has been removed, you should be free to fill out a new application then.