Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.

I wrote checks to him. The checks were not cleared by my

Customer Question

I wrote checks to him. The checks were not cleared by my banks because one account funds were froze and the other didn't transfer the money from one account to the other. I deposited the funds. Now the bank turned it over to the police, but my son has pressed charges or anything. The account is negative and we were on vacation when the bank tried to notify him. Now the police is threatening me of a felony charge! I am a nurse and can't have that on my record. I asked them what I needed to do to correct the situation, i.e. pay the checks. They just said they are trying to find out what happened.
JA: What state is this in? And can you tell me a little more about the charge?
Customer: Iowa
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No. I just was made aware of it 2 days ago.
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: I had the money in my accounts and I can prove it. The detective said he wants my last month's bank statements to prove that there was good intent.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 2 months ago.

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear that this happened.

It's very unusual for a bank to call the police when a person writes a check that does not clear. What is the value of the check?

And this probably sounds like a strange question, but have you verified that the person calling you really is a detective?