Colleen Grady
Colleen Grady, Attorney and Counselor at Law
Experience:  Attorney and Counselor at Law
81266493

I have a question regarding a misdemeanor theft, for a first

Customer Question

I have a question regarding a misdemeanor theft, for a first offense
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Colleen Grady replied 3 months ago.

Hello. I will help you today. I have been an attorney for 27 years. I am reviewing your question and will be back to you shortly.

Please let me know what your questions are. Also, please tell me what county you are in?

There are two levels of misdemeanors. These levels depend on the value of the items taken.

The first is called "petty theft" where is the lower level charge. If someone takes property valued at $500 or less they can get no more than 90 days in jail and face a fine of from $500 to $1,000.

The second is called "gross misdemeanor theft." If the value of the property is more than $500 but not more than $1,000, a theft offense is punishable by a sentence of imprisonment of not more than one year, or a fine of not more than $3,000, or both.

Please let me know if I can help more. If you are satisfied with my assistance, please rate me.