RobertJDFL, Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced in multiple areas of the law.

A few months ago my friends got into an argument, she is

Customer Question

A few months ago my friends got into an argument, she is pregnant, it got really vocal. It was really hectic and I didn't see him push her, but I did see him spit on my car. When I gave my statement I said I saw him push her, but I didn't have a clear view of the situation. Today I was served a Subpoena, do I have to go or can I do a phone interview? Since I said I saw it can I plead the fifth? Thank you for the advice.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 2 months ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. I look forward to helping you.

You must appear in person when you receive a subpoena. If you fail to appear, the court can actually enter a warrant for your arrest.

Yes, witnesses can take the fifth. If a witness refuses to answer specific questions, the prosecutor in the case may offer you immunity in exchange for your testimony. This means that, should your testimony include any details that incriminate you, the prosecutor will not charge you with a crime. In cases where immunity is not an option, prosecutors may be willing to reduce the charges in exchange for a full testimony.
Please remember to kindly leave a positive rating for me by clicking on the stars, as that is the only way experts are paid for their time even though you may have already paid a deposit to the site. Follow-up questions asked in this thread do not cost anything additional after leaving a positive rating.

If you need clarification
about my answer or additional information, please use the SEND or REPLY button to continue our conversation. Your satisfaction is my goal and I am here to help!