Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.

I have a felony warrent for probation violation. i work out

Customer Question

i have a felony warrent for probation violation. i work out of town and i knowed that they didnt know if i was home or not. So i didnt make a sound or movement until they left. What guidlines do the poice have to follow serving an arrest warrent.
if they dont know im here at home how long before they return again will they come daily weekly etc. im trying to by myself sometime.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 2 months ago.

If there is an outstanding warrant for your arrest, the only limit on when the officers can try to take you in would have to do with their availablity, scheduliing and manpower constraiints. Additionally there's no way of knowing how high you are on their list of priorities. You have to assume that wherever you are and wherever you go, you are at risk of being discovered. That's what life with a fugitive warrant is all about.

No lawyer would tell you to deliberately violate the terms of your probation. You know that you should turn yourself in. But in my experience the least safe place you can be is in your own home. They can show up there at any time, stake out your residence for your comings and goings and, in my experience, enlist the aid of your neighbors, family and friends to let them know when you are home.

I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news

Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 2 months ago.

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.