RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Lawyer
Experience:  licensed attorney in criminjal law for 30 years
8534270

I had a chat with a girl who is 16 years old. I never asked

Customer Question

I had a chat with a girl who is 16 years old. I never asked her for the nudes and i asked her to be a good friend of mine but she sent me some nude video of her and today some guy called from her number and threatening me that he gonna file a case against me. To forgive me he need 400$ and only then he gonna leave me? I am really worried. Do i need to pay him through western union money trasfer?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  RayAnswers replied 3 months ago.

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you tonight.

I would not pay this money.I would ditch your phone here or pc wherever there is a record in the hard drive.Change your number and your passwords.Put as much distance as you can between this person and you.Cell phone records overall have short term storage so after say 30 days nothing is retrievable.

I would want you to loose the hard drive here , get a new phone or pc whichever the information was exchanged.This makes it less likely that law enforcement would have evidence to make a case.Again distance here is the key.Go off social media as well for awhile.

Here is the law

Under New York law, it's a crime to persuade someone younger than 17 to engage in the making of a sexual or nude image, or to distribute or disseminate child pornography featuring someone younger than 17 (called promoting a sexual performance by a child). It's also a crime to possess a nude or sexual depiction of someone younger than 16. For example, a teenager who shares a nude photo of a 14-year-old girl with his friends could be convicted for possessing and distributing child pornography. The friends could also be convicted of possession of child pornography.

Like some other states, New York has inconsistent child pornography laws: It's not a crime to possess child pornography featuring a 16-year-old, but making or distributing such pornography is illegal. (N.Y. Pen. Law §§ 263.00, 263.05, 263.10, 263.11, 263.15, 263.16.)

For more information on sex crimes against children in New York, see Child Enticement Laws in New York.

Again clean it up on your end, cease conversations, change your passwords, email, and go off line for awhile and see if they go away.Most times this is someone blackmailing you.Don't pay them they will jut keep it up.Take your chances they move on to other people here.

Thanks again I appreciate the chance to help you tonight.

If you can positive rate 5 stars when we are done it is much appreciated.

You should not pay him either because what he is trying to do is to extort money from you for his silence. Extortion is illegal.

Since you have not actually gone out to meet the girl, the Prosecutor cannot go after you here. But I sure would destroy the cell phone here or pc that you had contact with .Again putting distance here between you and them is a great idea and it protects you more.

Thanks again.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I already deleted that application and I saved that conversation as a proof. I never met her till now. When she send me the nude video,I immediately told her not to send and explained her clearly. She said she likes me so much and then i told her "lets be friends". She said she want morethan friendship. Today morning her father called me and threatening me and he needs 400$ to forgive me and that too through **** transfer. I think its an online scam and I'm worried about the rules here tho
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
How about deleting all those messages and keeping the same phone? I'm on student visa here and i cant buy a new mobile destroying this.

Yes that will work clean off the messages here, thank again.