N Cal Attorney
N Cal Attorney, Lawyer
Experience:  Since 1983

Got a WV police citation for violation of WV state code

Customer Question

Got a WV police citation for violation of WV state code 61-8-5(b), was requested to call court by 8/15. What I need to do? Please help. Thanks!
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  N Cal Attorney replied 2 months ago.

Thank you for your question.

The statute you were charged under is posted at

You should call the court as directed. At your first court appearance, it is traditional to plead not guilty and, if you cannot afford an attorney, to ask the court to appoint an attorney to represent you. You should not agree to any interview with the police or prosecutor until after you have an attorney. It is best to not speak about what happened with anyone other than your own attorney for now.

You can get a free consultation from some of the criminal defense attorneys listed by location here.

Please follow up on this with a local attorney who can go over the facts with you and advise you in confidence.

I hope this information is helpful.