Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

Or afternoon perhaps, wherever you are!) I am a New Mexico

Customer Question

Good morning! (or afternoon perhaps, wherever you are!)
I am a New Mexico resident, 60 years old, and have been charged with my first DWI on June 1 of this year. I blew a .13, which in NM is not aggravated.
I am guilty of this crime, and I am willing to accept the consequences, through both MVD and Magistrate courts. I spent a night in the county jail here in this city, and it was horrifying. This has been life changing for me. I am too old to ever make such a mistake again. In fact, I no longer drink at all, and have been attending AA meetings. (I am aware this may have no bearing whatsoever on the outcome; However, I wanted to mention it because it is the truth and part of my story.)
I qualified for a public defender at a reduced fee, but was advised by several people that hiring an attorney is a better alternative. I went ahead and hired a local attorney for a flat fee who has handled many DWI cases. Unfortunately, he has not been good about communicating or responding to emails. I had to email and call him to ask when my MVD hearing was. Also, he didn't bother to inform me that he would not be attending my MVD hearing, but he did send somebody else (who I didn't know at all).
I wrote a letter and went to his office to speak with my attorney directly, so that I could respectfully ***** ***** concern about gaps in our communication. I explained this is all new to me and I would like to have a better understanding of the process. He wasn't at the office, so I left the letter and copies of my emails.
He finally got back to me several days later, and said he was "on vacation," and never responds to emails while on vacation. (He had not let me know he was going on vacation
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 3 months ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer.

It looks like your question got cut off part way through you typing it. The last thing I can see is -He had not let me know he was going on vacation...

What is your question I can help you with today?

Did you still need help with your question today? If so, can you kindly post the rest of it so that I can I see what specifically I may answer for you?