PhillipsEsq
PhillipsEsq, Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

I got a photo ticket for going through a red light in Culver

Customer Question

I got a photo ticket for going through a red light in Culver City. However, my action was based on the following in the California DMV Manual:
JA: Regulations vary from place to place, so can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: California
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No I have not. The CA DMV Manual says I can make a right turn on red without stopping "if the road you are turning onto has a non-merging lane dedicated to rught turning vehicles, and there is no sign to prohibit a free right turn."
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: That text is taken from page 40 of the CA DMV Manual.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 5 months ago.

Hello. My name is Alex.
Thank you for your question.
I will be happy to provide you with information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Do you have a legal question about the situation you have described in your post that I can answer for you?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Did you read my earlier text? It's all there...
Expert:  PhillipsEsq replied 5 months ago.

Hello: This is Attorney Phillips. Welcome to Justanswer! I will be further assisting you with your post.

I have carefully reviewed your post. However, I did not see a specific question. What is your specific question?

I need to know what your question is in order to answer it.

Thank you for your cooperation,

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Did you read my earlier text? It's all there...The CA DMV Manual says I can make a right turn on red without stopping "if the road you are turning onto has a non-merging lane dedicated to right turning vehicles, and there is no sign to prohibit a free right turn."Nevertheless, I got a photo ticket for not stopping before turning right at a red light.Stiltsville, USA
Posted onDecember 21, 2014AuthorLisa
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Did you read my earlier text? It's all there...The CA DMV Manual says I can make a right turn on red without stopping "if the road you are turning onto has a non-merging lane dedicated to right turning vehicles, and there is no sign to prohibit a free right turn."Nevertheless, I got a photo ticket for not stopping before turning right at a red light.

I read your post. However, there is no question. You need to ask a question so that I can try to answer it for you.

Thank you!

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
My question is:The prevailing rule in California is that you must stop at a red light before making a legal "right turn on red".However, based on the second entry on the California DMV Manual page I included in my last email, if you are in a designated right turn lane and the street you turn in has a lane dedicated to those turns, you do not have to stop at the red light and can just make your turn. That's what I did. So, is that sufficient grounds to contest the photo ticket I received for making a right turn on red without first stopping at the red light?

Thank you for the information and for your patience.

Yes, it is sufficient to contest the photo radar ticket. However, you would need to make sure to print the relevant portion of the manual and bring it to the hearing.

If you do not have any follow-up question(s), kindly give a positive rating to my response so that I can receive credit for responding to your post. There is no additional cost to you for doing this.

Thank you for your cooperation.