Thomas Swartz
Thomas Swartz, Lawyer
Experience:  Twenty one years experience as a lawyer in New York and New Jersey. Former Appellate Law Clerk.

My ex girlfriend has posted a private text message that I

Customer Question

My ex girlfriend has posted a private text message that I sent her. She has posted it on instagram. I said some pretty hurtful things. She had cheated on me and I was upset. I wanted to tell her off because I felt betrayed. It was only meant for her to read. It was a long message, yet she posted the part where, taken out of context to the whole conversation I seem horrible. She has purposely posted this to humiliate me in front my friends, her friends, my colleagues, her colleagues ,both of our families, the world. Do I have any legal ground?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Thomas Swartz replied 2 months ago.

I'm afraid you have no legal grounds to pursue any type action against your ex-girlfriend. If she had said something about you which was not factually true, you might have a claim of defamation. But she is merely posting your own words to other people. There are no grounds to sue somebody for for using your own words. In terms of the "private" nature of the text, there really is no such thing as a "private" text message or any other communication. Once you send someone a communication, that person is free to share the communication with other unless that person signed some sort of non-disclosure agreement. So, I'm afraid you are stuck, and there is no legal recourse you could pursue.

Sorry if this is not the information you wanted to hear.