Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Experience:  Experienced Licensed Attorney / Criminal Law Mentor
26296561

I got arrested last month, for leaving my firearm in my bag

Customer Question

I got arrested last month, for leaving my firearm in my bag at the airport. Of course, it was a complete and stupid mistake, but it happened nonetheless. TSA sent me a letter last week, stating that they were fining me $3800.00. But I could pay 1500, if paid before August 15th. Bad part about it all is, even if I had that type of money, TSA is saying that this fine has nothing to do with what the court system could charge and find me for. I am completely in the dark, and in need of help.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 8 months ago.

Hello. My name is Alex.
Thank you for your question.
I will be happy to provide you with information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Do you have a legal question about the situation described in your post that I can answer for you?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Will i need a lawyer in court, will I recieve my firearm back, how is the TSA fine different from the actual court fine, etc.

Thank you for your follow up.

What were you charged with an in which state?

Did you consult and retain an experienced local criminal defense attorney?

Are you planning on paying the civil fine from the TSA?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
State of Georgia, Atlanta Hartsfield airport. I have not recieved any legal consultation as of yet. I really didnt know how serious this issue was, as the laws have just changed. As far as the fine, I kind of shooting blindly on that also. Is that even legal to have two separate charges for the same offense?

Thank you for your follow up.

Yes. One is the civil fine / penalty and the other one i criminal charge.

Were you given citation or some type of document showing the actual criminal charge that was filed against you?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I only got paperwork from the bonding company, and dont remember the charges.

Thank you for your follow up.

Does the paperwork from the bonding company show the specific criminal charge?

Gun possession in the airport can be charged several ways and the penalty would depend on specific charge that was filed.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
No, it doesn't say. It only states the amount paid to be released.

Thank you for your follow up.

Generally, it is a serious criminal offense to possess a loaded gun while going through the TSA security or leaving loaded gun in an airport, but usually it is a misdemeanor.

I can't tell you what specific penalty could be without knowing the specific charge, but generally it is up to 1 year in jail upon conviction and fine / probation, so it is important to consult and retain an experienced local criminal law attorney to represent you in your pending criminal case and this local attorney can fight for your freedom and your legal rights during the criminal proceedings.

You can find an experienced and skilled local criminal law attorney by using this established and reputable attorney information / referral websites:

www.lexmundi.com
www.martindale.com
www.lawyers.com
www.legalmatch.com
When, choosing a local attorney to represent you, it would be a good idea to choose someone who has a practice exclusively dedicated to criminal law, has at least 10 years of experience and handled similar matters and also regularly practices before the court located in the jurisdiction where your matter might be heard.
I wish you the best of luck!

Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 7 months ago.