Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Experience:  Handle criminal matters in both state and federal courts.
10707909

My brother died. 3days before he died his live-in forged a

Customer Question

my brother died . 3days before he died his live-in forged a paper and was put on his checking account. The day before he died she forged another paper and stole his savings. Is the bank held rersponsbile for getting the money back to the estate?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Colleen Grady replied 3 months ago.

Hello. I will help you today. I have been an attorney for 27 years. I am reviewing your question and will be back to you shortly.

I am going to opt out. This is not a criminal law question about the banks responsibility.

Expert:  Samuel II replied 3 months ago.

Hello

This is Samuel. Unfortunately, unless you can prove the bank knew or should have known it was a forged signature, then the bank is not going to be liable. You will need to file criminal charges for the forgery and then the court can order her to repay the estate as part of a criminal penalty.

But if you can prove the bank knew or should have known the documents were forged then there is no recourse against the bank.